Friday Night Leftovers

Welcome to Friday Night Leftovers, hosted by Danifred.

• Elizabeth and I went to three story times this week.  They were all vastly different too.  And they were on Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday, so we had a story-time heavy end of the week.
  • I’ve got two blog meet-ups coming up next week.  Yes, you should be excited.
  • My camera software is incompatible with Windows 7.  This is stupid.  They should have fixed this already.  I am trying to find some way around this because I NEED MY PICTURES.
  • I went to Goodwill again and found another pair of Toddler Tech Stride Rite shoes ($55 value) and a $7 Sandra Boynton book (with the tag still on).  My total for both was $4.08.  I am going to start going there once a week, I think.  Shoes for all my friends!
  • I started a Flickr group for Little Star Shop.  The link is here.  It’s still empty because MY CAMERA WON’T DOWNLOAD TO MY COMPUTER, but if when I fix that, I will upload all the pictures.  In the meantime, if you have something you bought from me (or won from me or got as a present from me), please upload a picture!
  • I’ve lost all the emails-I-meant-to-respond-to that were on my other computer.  If you are waiting on a response from me (I know there was one about owl baby wipes and one about something else…), could you pretty please email me again?  I’ll love you forever.
  • I gave Elizabeth a set of the new Rainbow eggs that I am featuring in my Etsy shop.  Dude, seriously, buy some of those right now, she thinks they may be the greatest toy of all time.  And the low, low price of $7 is totally not going to last either.
  • Also, I didn’t look TOO closely, but I also think I have the cheapest playsilks on Etsy right now.
  • Yes, Etsy is kind of on my mind lately.  Speaking of which, there are still four Reserved Listings for embroidered shirts that people asked for and haven’t bought yet.  That’s totally fine, but I’m going to take them down soon so they aren’t cluttering things up, so if you want yours, speak up now.
  • The poor injured bird in the backyard that I decided to leave alone (Twitter heard about it) got better during the night and flew off to live happily ever after with his family and loyal bird friends.  Or died and got carried off by something.  Either way, it is gone.
  • I need to bake cookies.  I’ve been buying cookies because I’ve been WANTING cookies, but it isn’t the same.
  • Elizabeth would like everyone to know that she really, really, REALLY loves cookies.
  • While we were leaving the library’s story time today, someone across the parking lot waved at me.  I squinted into the sun and waved back, but before I had time to think about it (for example, to think “who is waving at me?  We only know like two people?”), Elizabeth started shouting “Harm-y, Harm-y!”  Sure enough, it was Harm-y’s mom.  So we went over and said hello and Elizabeth and Harmony were delighted to see each other.
  • I’m thinking about starting a play group.  You know, to make friends and have someone to talk to.  Does anyone have any advice?  (Remember, the advice can’t be “call all your friends and invite them” because I do not have any friends.)  How do you advertise a play group?  How do you find people?  What if no one comes?  Does that make me a loser?

Go participate in Friday Night Leftovers!  Danifred is talking about her bras.

Comments

1. says

Ha, so funny that I’ve thought of the playgroup conundrum and I don’t even have a baby!! Seriously how do you find people when you move to a new place and have no friends!

2. says

I am a total loser who avoids other moms at all costs. Mostly, I don’t want their children messing up my house and I don’t like feeling obligated to like a mom if my kid likes their kid. Seriously, I have issues. Thank goodness Tot has school, otherwise she might not know that other children exist.

3. says

a) Are you telling me that your brand new computer doesn’t have a slot for your camera’s memory card? (And thusly removing the need for software installation completely…)
    b) Maria needs new shoes, size 7. Henry would like size 1 boys, please.

4. Terri says

Oh my goodness lots and lots on the “leftovers”. I enjoy going to the local story times at the library. As far as the camera to the computer compatablity – how about using a scan disc to usb to down load to the computer? You can get them at office stores for under 20.00 or so.. We too had a little birdie who was injuried or something and really wasn’t moving well but he’s gone now. As far as the play group. Here is a couple of thoughts: Don’t make it too formal — like having officers, dues, and heavy rules (like you can only associate with people in the group via group activites). You can start one on Yahoo Groups. Just post something about having to meet up with them before you approve them into the group per say or they must know another member. Good Luck.

5. says

Jen,

I am way behind on commenting, but I wanted to give you some ideas for the playgroup startup.

First, have you tried http://www.meetup.com/? There might be groups already established in your area that you could join or you can start your own. I started a Mommy Walkers group when Will was six months old. It took a few weeks to get things rolling, but I had a group of 4 moms that consistently showed up and two other moms that showed up sporadically.

You can look into a local church. You don’t necessarily have to attend a church as a member or regularly to find a group to join or lead (we were going to one church when I joined a certain moms group and have since started attending another church, but Will and I are still attending the moms group and it’s not a problem). You can post your group on a bulletin board there.

Craigslist. You can post your group or find groups. I haven’t actually tried this myself, but one of my girlfriends did and really found a neat group of three other women. I would definitely have to have the first meeting in a public spot, but there should be a kid gym or kid friendly coffee place in your area where you could do that.

MOPS. I went to one MOPs meeting and it wasn’t my thing, and I found other resources that filled our needs, but I have heard that sometimes, you have to try differet groups. There are different ones with different types of attendees and activities, sizes, level of organization. Now, this would probably not be in your home, but you could meet other moms and do your own offshoot. MOPs also costs a lot of money (another reason I went in a different direction), but my friends who participate in it seem to enjoy it a lot.

6. says

story time sounds so fun. i should reallly see if there is a monday morning one anywhere around here.
    i love thrift stores. you just reminded me that it has been WAY too long since I have been to one.

7. says

My HOA has a clubhouse and is always asking for people to form groups which wthey will advertise for free and allow to use the clubhouse for meetings for free. I’m in talks to form a group there right now. I’m just afraid I won’t have the time.

8. Lissa says

Sorry not commenting about the mommy meet up – unless you want to come out here to Texas or meet somewhere half way =]

I got my shirts today, as promised, and I love, love, love them. My son, on the other hand does not because he doesn’t like to be called little – I guess I need to order another shirt saying – I’m the big brother but not really because I won’t wear a shirt that says little on it…. how much will that be? =]